Popcorn Stitch Flower: Free Pattern!

There are a plethora of crochet flower patterns out there but this one is truly unique. With a single round, it makes a perfect accent for a headband or hat, with two rounds it can be used to make a beautiful motif or if you keep crocheting you can make a large round accent pillow. This beautiful flower works up quick and easy and has wonderful texture. I had such a great response with my first free pattern I just had to share another one with you.

The Popcorn Stitch Crochet Flower

Popcorn Flower

Crochet Pattern by B. Hooked Crochet, Copyright 2013.

Please do not copy, sell or redistribute this pattern without first obtaining my permission. Items produced using this pattern may be sold, however please do not use the photo above.

Pattern Support

Click here to post your questions/comments/completed photos. You will be directed to B.hooked Crochet’s Pattern Support discussion board.

Difficulty: Easy/Intermediate

Supplies:

• Crochet hook size I (5.5mm)
  • Any worsted weight yarn (4)
  • Darning needle
  • Scissors

Abbreviations:

• Chain (ch)
  • Slip Stitch (slst)
  • Single Crochet (sc)
  • Popcorn Stitch (pc)

Pattern Notes:

The popcorn stitch is formed by double crocheting 5 times in the same stitch, removing the hook from your 5th double crochet loop, inserting it through your first double crochet stitch and grabbing the 5th double crochet loop through the back and pulling it through. You will then fasten the popcorn stitch off by chaining one. Please refer to this video tutorial for guidance. You can do as many rounds as desired with this pattern. My example shown above has 4 rounds.

Round #1: Create a slip knot and ch 2. Sc 8 times in the chain next to the hook and join with a slst forming a ring. (8 stitches)

Popcorn Flower round 1

Round #2: Ch 3 and form a popcorn stitch in the same stitch as your ch 3. Close your popcorn stitch by chaining 1. Make a popcorn stitch in each sc stitch all the way around your loop. (8 popcorn stitches=8 petals) Join with a slst into the bottom ch 3 of the first petal of this round. Refer to the image below to see where to join with the slst (the image is completing round 3 but the joining site is exactly the same for round 2).

Where to Join

Round #3: Chain 3 and form a popcorn in the same stitch. Close the popcorn stitch by chaining 1. (you will add one more popcorn stitch to this section at the end of the round). *Create two popcorn stitches between the next two petals from the second round. You will insert your hook under the chain that closed off your popcorn stitches. Repeat all the way around and finish off the round by adding one more popcorn stitch between the petals where the first popcorn stitch was made. Join with a Slst into the ch 3 of the first popcorn stitch.  (16 popcorn stitches=16 petals). Refer to the image below to see where to insert your hook for the two popcorn stitches.

Where to add petals

You will only need to complete three rounds  if you plan on making a motif out of your flower. I am planning on making a flowers motif bag out of my squares. This is what your flower will look like as a square motif.

Popcorn Flower Motif

If you plan on making a much larger flower you can do so following  the rules of crocheting in the round. For example, for round #4 you will create a single popcorn in between one set of petals and then create two popcorn stitches  in between the next two and repeat this pattern all the way around. For round #5 you would create one popcorn stitch in between the petals twice and then two popcorn stitches in between the next two and so on.

As usual, once you have reached your desired size, weave in your ends and you’re done!

I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I do, and please feel free to leave me any questions or comments!

Need Help with this pattern?

Online Crochet Class

Posted in Crochet-Along, Flowers, Free Patterns
17 comments on “Popcorn Stitch Flower: Free Pattern!
  1. Anonymous says:

Where do you join Rounds 2 & 3?

• Brittany says:

I join rounds 2 and 3 in the chain 3 from the start of the round. I try to make sure I insert my hook within the chain rather than under the whole thing because it will lay better and hold its shape. I’ll add this info in the post, thanks for the question!

2. mahboub says:

thank you so much. it was amazing

3. Carolyn says:

I am kinda new to crochet. I would like to make this bigger into a pillow. My question is on row 4 you would do 2 single petals and then on the third a double, then 2 single and a double. Adding 8 more petals for a total of 24. Then on row 5 you would do 3 singles and on the 4th a double petal repeating this around with 32 petals total. Row 6 – 4 singles and double on next etc. Is this right?

• admin admin says:

Yes that is exactly right! It follows the same rules as crocheting in the round if you are familiar with that. I would love to see how your pilllow turns out!

4. rami says:

for the flower in first picture, how many popcorn stitches have you done? (for the 3rd round)

• admin admin says:

The first picture has four rounds (including the first foundation round of sc) but I think you are asking how many petals are in the third round of petals? In this case there will be 24 popcorn stitches = 24 petals. Hope this helps!

5. Thank you for this fabulous pattern!

I’ve turned it into a Granny Square for part of a project I’m working on.
    If interested, you can see it here;

~ Megan
    Just Plain Loopy

6. dee says:

This is The most amazing flower I’ve ever made!! It didnt turn out as good as yours but its still pretty for my first time. Love it. TFS ~Diana~

• admin admin says:

You’re welcome! With a little practice yours will turn out just like mine…I have made so many of these flowers! I think the yarn choice makes a difference too. Caron’s simply soft is my yarn of choice.

• dee says:

I used 4 ply worsted in chocolate brown. It sort of reminds me of a “Tarantula” LOL. I’ll figure out what I’m doing wrong sooner or later. Practice practice practice!! :-)

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Popcorn Stitch Flower: Free Pattern!"
  1. [...] The Popcorn Stitch Crochet Flower [...]

photo MeinStudio_zps9d913948.jpg
My name is Brittany and I am an independent crochet designer and video host. B.hooked crochet is a place for crochet enthusiasts to learn and share techniques, patterns and projects. Thank you for stopping by!

Enter your email address to subscribe to B.hooked and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,054 other subscribers

photo Patternsupport_zpsfe3ea01b.jpg
 photo InstagramHash_zps23544f3a.jpg

I Recommend…

Join my Ravelry Group

photo Ravelry_zpsfff1ca77.png
Share your completed B.hooked Crochet designs in my Ravelry Group!
Online Quilting Classes