Crocodile Stitch Flower: Free Pattern

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-9054126214526730"
data-ad-slot="9702217600">

Free Pattern from B.hooked Crochet!

I absolutely love this crochet flower! It offers height, depth, detail, everything you want from a crochet embellishment. The best part about it is that you can work it up from start to finish in about 2 hours. Alright, so it’s not exactly the crocodile stitch but with my lack of floral knowledge, I wasn’t sure what flower it closely resembles. You’ll find that it is pretty similar to the crocodile stitch however, the foundation had to be modified slightly to allow for the flower formation. Now with that out of the way, let’s get hookin’!

One of these Crocodile Stitch Flowers by B.hooked Crochet would make sweet embellishments when made with Vanna’s Choice yarn!

- Lion Brand Yarn July 8, 2013

This beautiful flower consist of  crocodile stitches. B.Hooked shares a fantastic written and photo tutorial to make this flower easy for even the crochet beginner!
                                                      -The Yarn Box, July 2013

The Crocodile Stitch Flower

Flowers 2

Crochet Pattern by B. Hooked Crochet, Copyright 2013.

Please do not copy, sell or redistribute this pattern without first obtaining my permission. Items produced using this pattern may be sold, however please do not use the photo above.

Difficulty: Easy/Intermediate

Pattern Support:

Click here to post your questions/comments/completed photos. You will be directed to B.hooked Crochet’s Pattern Support discussion board.

Supplies:

• Crochet hook size H (5.5mm)
  • Any worsted weight yarn (4)
  • Darning needle
  • Scissors

Abbreviations:

• Chain (ch)
  • Single Crochet (sc)
  • Half Double Crochet (hdc)
  • Double Crochet (dc)

Pattern Notes:

Your finished flower will consist of 20 petals and measure approximately 4″ accross and 2″ tall depending on how you wrap your flower in the final steps.

Row One:

Ch 80 + 1

Chain Step

Row Two:

Sc in second chain from hook and each stitch accross (80 stitches)

Sc Step

Row Three:

Ch 7 (3 chains for one dc and 4 chains for the repeat pattern)

dc in 4th stitch from end of work

*ch 4; dc in 4th stitch from previous dc * Repeat to end of work

First dc Step    Dc Step

Row Four :

ch 1

Each petal will be worked into the chain space using the following stitch pattern – sc, hdc, dc, dc, dc, chain 2, dc, dc, dc, hdc, sc. Repeat this sequence in each chain 4 space all the way accross.

Petal Step

Flower Formation:

At this point you should have a long strand of work with 20 flower petals.

Finish off leaving a strand of about 8 inches. You will use this extra yarn to stitch the flower together in the end.

The variation in your flower occurs in how you roll your work. If you want a smaller and taller flower, you will want to roll your flower tighter with the sc layers right on top of each other. This example can be seen in my white flower pictured above. If you need a larger, rounder flower you will want to roll your flower looser and form the sc layer above each other rather than right on top of each other. An example of this is the dark blue flower pictured above.

Flowers 1

Thread your long strand of yarn with your darning needle and begin rolling the first four petals. Now secure this section by stitching it two or three times. I use a simple whip stitch to accomplish this. At this point you should have decided how you want your finished flower to look. As described above, if you want a smaller and taller flower continue wrapping your flower keeping the sc row as straight as possible. If you want a larger flower, wrap slowly while positioning the sc layer directly above the sc layer. You will want to reinforce the design as you go along by whip stitching it several times until you have reached the end of your work. Reinforce the very last petal by adding a whip stitch. Tie off your end and your done!

I hope you enjoy your finished flowers as much as I do! Please feel free to leave me your comments/questions.

Flowers 5

Need Help with this pattern?

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Flowers, Free Patterns
61 comments on “Crocodile Stitch Flower: Free Pattern
  1. Megan J says:

Another winner!

LOVE it!! Can hardly wait to make it when my loopy kidz go to bed!
    Thank you!

2. dj says:

wow. anxious to purchase ink for my printer so i can copy and start making these flowers ! thank you for sharing

3. Rhonda says:

I’m a little confused with Row 3
    “Ch 7 (chain 3 for one dc and chain 4 for repeat pattern)”

I chain 7, but then chain 3 that counts as a dc and then chain 4, where and when do you connect to the row 2? Are you saying that there are 7 total chains and that 3 chains counts as a dc?

Can you please clarify? Thanks.

• admin admin says:

Rhonda, you chain 7 total (3 of which count as a dc and the other 4 as your gap space). Count 4 stitches over on your sc foundation and dc in that 4th stitch. There is a close up picture of this within the pattern. I figured this part would be a little difficult to follow without a visual. Hope this helps!

• Laura says:

the first three chains= 1 dc, the next 4 chains are the spacer to the next dc. It’ll make sense once you do it. You’ll have 20 loops in which to make 20 petals using sc, hdc, dc x 3, ch x 2, dc x 3, hdc, sc.

4. Maribel says:

Hola, me gustan mucho las flores. Pero tengo una pregunta. ¿Cómo se montan? de arriba a abajo o de abajo a arriba. A mi me gusta hacer ganchillo: flores, fundas para móviles, etc.; también me gusta hacer punto de cruz, manualidades con materiales reciclados, etc.

Maribel
      ¿Hablas Inglés? Yo no hablo español bien.

• Raquel says:

Maribel, disculpe que me meta pro pensé que podía darle una manita ya que domino las dos idiomas y también me encanta as manualidades. Es de arriba abajo, o sea del centro de la rosa para afuera. Ela comenta que sí la quieres más alta y frondosa. Pues que simplemente al coser las vueltas que se haga apretaditas. Ojalá esto le ayuda.
      Atentamente,
      Raquel

5. Mary says:

Beautiful flower ….. Thank you so much for the pattern …!!!!! Have a nice day

6. Patricia Mayfield says:

Love it can’t wait to do one.

7. Wilma Metcalf says:

I make chemo caps and this would be very pretty on them.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wilma

8. OhioMan says:

Awesome..just the flower I was looking for to attach to my current project..a cloche..thanks..

9. Martina Zahirsyah says:

It’s a beautiful flower…can I share this pattern with my friend? She’s looking for this flower’s pattern, and I think she can do/use it. I was wondering, do you have another flower’s pattern? The easiest one would be helpful, since she just learn to crochet. Thank you so much for sharing :)

• admin admin says:

Martina, I’d love for you to share it with your friend. I do have one other flower pattern that is very neat. It’s called the popcorn stitch flower and you can find it here on this blog. I’d say that the Crocodile stitch pattern is a little easier though but you should definitely give the popcorn stitch flower a try!

10. Juju says:

Can’t wait until supper is finished and have my bath. Will find the coldest place in the house and give it a try. It’s been a hot busy day. LOL
    Have a blessed day.

11. Angie says:

These are so beautiful! Ty for sharing :-)

12. Thank you for sharing your flower pattern. It is very pretty.

13. Helen says:

I’ve never seen crocodile stitch done like this, looks way easier than the way I was taught. Will have to try when I get home.

• admin admin says:

Yes Helen it is a bit different than the traditional crocodile stitch. I had to modify it slightly so it could be rolled into a flower. I like how the “scales” are pointed in this pattern. I think it looks more like the real thing!

14. Suzi says:

I would like your permission to share this pattern and picture with our Busy Hands 4 Christ group. We make hats and scarves for an orphanage in Kenya, Africa. We do not sell our items. The ladies in our group are at varying levels and like to see pictures of how the items look. This is a beautiful flower and I hope I am able to teach the ladies how to make it to embellish our hats! Thank you so much.

• admin admin says:

Suzi, I would be honored for you to use my pattern to embellish your crocheted items! What a wonderful thing you all are doing. Please let me know if I can be of assistance! Also, you may check out my popcorn stitch flower as well. It too makes a beautiful embellishment. You can find the pattern here on my blog as well.

15. zulema Rousseau says:

hermosas flores, quisiera otros patrone, gracias por compartir

16. Diana says:

Just made one!! Thank you for such easy instructions. It came out Perfect!! Just like yours!

17. Linda Newcomb says:

Love these roses…prettier than most I’ve seen. Just purchased a shawl pattern with this stitch a few days ago. Now I’m anxious to stitch it. Will probably make one of these for practice first. Thank you.

• admin admin says:

Thanks Linda! I’m glad you’re excited about making one. They are so easy yet look so complex. Just keep in mind that this technique is different than the traditional crocodile stitch. However, good practice nonetheless!

18. A Wilson says:

Hello! I followed the pattern just fine until the ‘flower formation’ part. What do you mean by ‘roll the petals’? Are you starting in the middle of the flower and working out? Where are putting your whipstitches?

• admin admin says:

I am starting at one end (usually the end with your tail works best) and rolling to the other. I put the whip stitches in the sc foundation row to secure it once I get the shape I like. Let me know if you still have troubles!

19. Laura Hojem says:

Thank you so much for the pattern…I’m just learning to crochet in my 6th decade, and love making things for the great-grandkids. Looking forward to making these!

• admin admin says:

You’re welcome Laura! Glad to see another jump on the crochet band wagon. It is so relaxing and rewarding!

20. Peggy Payne says:

The crochet part was very easy to do. Now I just need to roll it into the flower. Thanks for sharing!

• admin admin says:

That part takes a few tries at first to get it right. I rolled and re-rolled several times before I found a shape that I liked. Thanks for the feedback!

21. Kathy Premo says:

Hi, a friend shared the flower and I am looking forward to making some flowers. Then all I need to do is make something to put them on. My my, what to make. Lots of fun a head. Thank you.

22. Jeanna says:

Very pretty pattern. What did you use in the middle of the flowers for decoration?

• admin admin says:

Thank you Jeanna! You know, I picked these up at Michaels craft Store a while back. I believe they are called pearl stamen.

23. ilene panopio says:

…love to try it later…they are lovely…

24. nayana says:

really beautiful liked it alot and i also tried to make one..thanks a tone

25. Beth says:

This is beautiful! Thank you for creating the pattern. This is almost identical to an heirloom garden rose: specifically, the Duchess of Portland rose, in full bloom (one of my aunts grew them – gorgeous!).

• admin admin says:

Oh wow, I’ll have to look that up! I flipped through several flower images on Google when trying to come up with a name for it and I couldn’t seem to find a good match. Thanks!

26. Claudia says:

Such a beautiful flower – thank you for sharing the pattern. I have to crochet this evening :)

27. Beginner says:

This was just fantastic! I really love making these! They are so beautiful and the pattern and instructions you created were so easy to follow! Thank you for your hard work and taking the time to share it with all of us!

28. Nitto Amigurumi says:

Hmm.. beautiful flower.. ^_^
    Thanks for sharing..

29. Angela says:

I love this pattern! Thank you for sharing it. How did you get the beads to stay in the center of the flower? Did you hot glue them or are they sewn in somehow?

• admin admin says:

Thank you Angela! The stamens I bought for this are double sided and made of wire, so I simply fed one end through the center of the flower so that it was doubled and twisted it at the base. You may want to put a dab of hot glue if your stamens aren’t wire or if you are embellishing an item that will get a lot of use.

30. Laura says:

I love this flower pattern! using it on my next set of headbands I whip up!

photo MeinStudio_zps9d913948.jpg
My name is Brittany and I am an independent crochet designer and video host. B.hooked crochet is a place for crochet enthusiasts to learn and share techniques, patterns and projects. Thank you for stopping by!

Enter your email address to subscribe to B.hooked and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,055 other subscribers

photo Patternsupport_zpsfe3ea01b.jpg
 photo InstagramHash_zps23544f3a.jpg

I Recommend…

Join my Ravelry Group

photo Ravelry_zpsfff1ca77.png
Share your completed B.hooked Crochet designs in my Ravelry Group!
Online Quilting Classes