The Crochet Challenge Kicks off Friday, January 6, 2017 (at midnight) and ends January 20, 2017.
I’ve teamed up with my friends at Lion Brand Yarn and Clover USA to bring you our second Crochet Challenge for Warm Up America! Are you ready to make a real impact on someone’s life?
You’ve seen little bits and pieces of information about this big event scattered about my social pages and right here on the blog. Well friends, this page will give you ALL of the information you need to prepare (in one convenient place).
The Challenge is open worldwide to anyone who would like to participate. Each participant will complete the stunning baby blanket pictured above (in the colorway of their choice) to donate it to the Warm Up America! Foundation, a sister organization to the Craft Yarn Council.
Warm Up America! Foundation was founded by a courageous yarn hero named Evie, back in 1982. When her mission surpassed the span of her home, the Craft Yarn Council stepped in to lend a helping hand. I encourage you to read an earlier blog post about Warm Up America! Foundation. They are simply incredible!
This pattern will challenge your beginner skills or work up easily to a seasoned crocheter. You will be provided with a detailed video tutorial, diagram and written instructions to help you through this process.
The challenge is exactly 27 days away. I want you to have plenty of time to prepare before the challenge begins. Here’s everything you need to know right now.
We will be using Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop and Modern Baby yarn for this challenge. You have 27 days to get your supplies before the challenge begins. We all get pretty busy around the holiday season so I would plan on getting your supplies this week or as soon as you can. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 Skeins, Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop (your color choice)
- 1 Skein, Lion Brand Modern Baby (coordinating color)
- 5.5 mm Crochet Hook
- Darning Needle
Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop is available in 8 different colorways for you to choose from. You can use whichever one you like! The baby blanket pictured here is the Cookies & Cream colorway and the baby blanket you’ll see in the video tutorial is Tutti Frutti.
So what’s the difference between Ice Cream and Ice Cream Big Scoop?
The yardage is the main difference. You will see a few other color options in the smaller skein size but in order to save our valuable dollars, purchasing the Big Scoop size will give you more bang for your buck.
They don’t call this stitch pattern the “wooleater” for nothing. This stitch eats through your yarn stash like a hungry teenager. If you decide to use the smaller skein size because you like the color options better, make sure you get 7 skeins to get the yardage you’ll need to finish the blanket.
I personally didn’t have much luck finding Lion Brand Ice cream yarn or Modern Baby in stores. It never hurts to check next time you’re out but I would plan on ordering your yarn online. I purchased mine from Amazon and recommend this option because stock is plentiful and shipping is cheap or free for Prime members.
Disclosure: Please note that the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to purchase your supplies through these links. Please understand that I have experience with these products and I recommend them because they are optimal for this pattern, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy them online. If you have received valuable information from me at any point, this is one easy way to say thank you for a job well done. Thank you!
The challenge will begin on January 6, 2017. On that date, all information including written pattern, video tutorial and diagram will be posted here at B.hooked Crochet.
The challenge will end on January 20, 2017. Your baby blanket must be postmarked (scanned at the post office) by Saturday, January 21, 2017 to complete the challenge.
Isn’t this design gorgeous?! I don’t usually toot my own horn but I’m incredibly proud of the way this one turned out.
It uses a stitch pattern called the Catherine Wheel Stitch and plays with texture by using post stitches. The variegation in the yarn gives it even more texture and visual interest. I really love the monotone look of this one with a pop of border color but I’m really excited to see how the tutti frutti works up too!
I want to set each and every one of you up for success in this challenge. It’s the least I can do for your yarn hero efforts! A video tutorial will be posted on the 6th along with the written instruction and a diagram for those of you who are a little more advanced.
Beginners, don’t go running for the hills just yet. This pattern looks extremely complicated but it really isn’t. There are only two pattern round repeats and 2 different stitches, the double treble crochet and slip stitch. If you’re not sure about it, hold off getting your supplies until after you watch the tutorial. When you see that you can handle it, quickly order your supplies and you’ll only be a couple days behind!
Play with color
I mentioned before that you can choose any colorway you like. This is the fun part of watching the challenge unfold! It’s amazing to see a single design transform when you use different colorways.
What you need to do now
- Join the Crochet Challenge for WUA Facebook event page! This helps us keep track of the number of participants and gives you a place to share your progress photos, ask questions and converse with other yarn heroes.
- Decide what colorway you will be using for the Big Scoop and Modern Baby Accent.
- Purchase your supplies.
- Visit www.bhookedcrochet.com/wuachallenge2017 on January 6th and begin!
Have I mentioned yet that we will be having a midnight release party?! Join me live on Facebook at midnight Friday, January 6th 2017 to see the Tutti Frutti color reveal and ask me any questions you may have about the challenge. If you haven’t done so already, like B.hooked Crochet on Facebook so you don’t miss this live video stream!
Thank you for your participation!
This crochet challenge and the baby blanket you will make from it means the world to Warm Up America! Foundation and the families who will receive your gift. I am so grateful to each and everyone of you who is willing and able to participate.
See you soon!
- When does the challenge begin? The challenge kicks off on January 6, 2017 at midnight. The pattern will be released here on the blog at this time and you’ll have the green light to start working on your donation.
- What do I do to join? Nothing. Just participate. I encourage you to RSVP on the Facebook Event Page so I have an idea of how many blankets WUA will receive.
- When is my blanket supposed to be finished? The challenge comes to a close on January 20, 2017. You should finish you baby blanket by this day and ship it to WUA Foundation by January 21, 2017. Dates and addresses will also be included with the pattern and on the Facebook Event page.
- Can I donate my blanket to another organization? Absolutely. If you live outside the US and you would like to participate, I encourage you to find your local hospital and donate your blanket.
- What do I do now? Order your supplies and (try to) wait until Jan 6th to begin. Post pictures of your yarn choice in the Facebook Event Page and strike up a conversation with your fellow yarn heroes!
- Who is Warm Up America? Warm Up America is a non-profit organization founded in 1982 by a courageous yarn hero named Evie. When her vision expanded beyond her capabilities, the Craft Yarn Council stepped in to continue her mission. I encourage you to read more about WUA! Foundation here.