I received a request recently about how to modify one of my knit baby patterns to fit an adult and as I was typing out the steps in the email, realized that it was a perfect topic for the podcast. Any hat pattern can be modified to fit whatever size you need, you just need to understand how that pattern comes together to make the necessary adjustments.
It’s a simple process when we break it down into easy steps and that’s what I’m going to do for you today – we’ll look at six steps to taking a bottom up hat (one that’s worked from brim to crown) and adjusting it for the perfect fit. Keep in mind that the steps we’ll cover here work in either direction – taking a large hat and making it smaller or taking a small hat and making it bigger.
- Step 1: Testing your gauge
- Step 2: Measure how many stitches per inch
- Step 3: Measure your head circumference
- Step 4: Find the number of stitches for your foundation or cast on
- Step 5: Figure out your pattern repeat multiple
- Step 6: Adjust Foundation or cast on to work with your repeat
Now if you haven’t done so already, click on that play button at the top of the page to hear the details of these six steps!
Links & Resoources
- Hat Sizing Chart – B.hooked Crochet
- Head Circumference Chart – Craft Yarn Council
- Pixie Knit Hat – Pattern referenced in Example
Step 4 Equation – # sts per inch x head circumference = Foundation
Step 6 Equation – Foundation/ stitch multiple = whole number?
- If yes, keep going with your foundation
- If no, multiply your stitch multiple by the whole number in front of the decimal to get your foundation number of stitches.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the B.hooked Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
Want the inside scoop?
Subscribe to our mailing list and get B.hooked updates in your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing. Please check your email to confirm your participation!
Something went wrong.