This page is your central hub for the challenge. On this page you will find everything you need to know to participate in and complete the challenge.
It’s a simple process but there’s quite a bit of information I need to share with you. This page is organized as follows:
- How Warm Up America will use your donated items
- Skills needed to complete the challenge
- Steps to complete the challenge
- Yarn information & ordering
- The projects you’re asked to complete
- The supplies you will need to complete the challenge
- How to send your donation to Warm Up America to complete the challenge
- Forms to include in the package to Warm Up America
- Giveaway Information
- Challenge Facebook group
What is the Crochet Challenge for Warm Up America?
The crochet challenge for Warm Up America is the most anticipated crochet along (CAL) and event here at B.Hooked and this is the first year we are hosting two events in the same year!
Every gift made and sent in for this challenge will be hung in low-income communities, primarily in the Dallas Texas area, in January of 2020 so those in need can keep them for warmth this winter.
Skills Needed to Complete the Challenge
Basic crochet skills are all you need to complete this challenge. Both projects use the double crochet and post stitches. Familiarity with these stitches are helpful but not required. The tutorial will walk you through it!
How to Complete the Challenge
Step 1: Complete both projects; the gloves and the hat following the patterns provided. You may choose any colors you like to make your gift unique!
Step 2: Mail them to Warm Up America before the deadline.
Yarn Information & Ordering
Both patterns were written and tested with Paintbox Simply Aran and Lion Brand Heartland yarn so for the most reliable results, it’s recommended that you use one of these options.
Mix and match colors to create stripes or keep them solid – whatever you want! There are no color requirements as long as you follow the patterns provided for the challenge.
Both yarns are available to order online from Love Crochet at the following links:
Lion Brand Heartland is also available in many craft stores.
If you would like to use yarn already in your stash that’s perhaps a different brand, you may do so but please understand the sizing and yardage may be different than what you see listed for these projects. Subtle differences in yarn thickness and texture may cause variations in gauge and the sizing of the finished projects. Substitute at your own risk 🙂
For the best results, choose a worsted weight yarn that is similar to Paintbox or Heartland.
Warm Up America also requests the yarn be acrylic and washable.
Pattern Gauge Information
15 sts x 8.5 rows = 4″ worked in double crochet
Both patterns recommend a 6.5 mm crochet hook, however, please use which ever hook size required to obtain the gauge.
The Projects You Are Asked to Complete
Project #1: Mens Crochet Gloves
The first project you will be asked to complete is a pair of mens gloves. Warm Up America made a special request for this!
Each pair will take approximately 8 hours to complete, plus or minus a couple hours depending on your crochet speed and prior skills.
The pattern uses the double crochet, front post and back post double crochet stitches. It also incorporates a little shaping with simple increases and decreases.
You can expect to find the written instructions as well as a PDF available for you to print. The video tutorial will be available in right and left-handed versions. These tutorials will appear on this page at the date and time listed above as well as on my YouTube channel.
Project #2: Mens Hat
The second project you will be asked to complete is a mens hat. Warm Up America made a special request for this as well!
The hat will take aproximately 4 hours to complete, plus or minus one or two hours depending on your speed and skills.
This pattern also uses the double crochet, front and back post double crochet stitches.
That link won’t work until the scheduled time 😉
You can expect written instructions and a PDF to print. The video tutorial will be available in right and left-handed versions appearing on this page at the date and time listed above as well as on my YouTube channel.
Supplies You Will Need
To make one pair of gloves you will need:
To make one hat you will need:
The yardage amounts listed above is the total yardage for each project. Please note you can use as many or as few colors you want to create stripes or color blocks in the projects.
You will also need…
- 6.5 mm crochet hook (or the size hook needed to obtain gauge provided in the patterns)
- 4 stitch markers (preferably two each of two different colors)
- Darning Needle
Sending Your Finished Projects to Warm Up America to Complete the Challenge
To complete the challenge, you must ship your donation to Warm Up America at the address below post marked on or before December 7th 2019.
Warm Up America/BHooked
3740 N. Josey Lane
Carrollton, TX 75007
Please do not send your donations to the address you see in my email newsletter. Your donations must go to Warm Up America to complete the challenge, not to the B.Hooked Studio.
To complete the challenge you only need to send one hat and glove set but Warm Up America welcomes as many as you have time to make!
You may include as many sets that you can fit in the package.
Donations for Items Made From Different Patterns
Warm Up America welcomes any and all donations! Please feel free to send as many hats, scarves, gloves or mittens you may have previously made in your donation box with your completed challenge projects.
However, only completed hat/glove sets made from the provided challenge patterns will count as an entry toward the giveaway but every item you send will help Warm Up America reach their goal of 7,500 items this year!
Packaging Your Donation
You may include as many donations as you want in your package to Warm Up America.
Please include a completed entry form for every challenge hat and glove set.
You may include other donations as well!
You may wash your items before sending them in but it is not required. If you choose to wash them before shipping, Warm Up America asks that you use an fragrance-free detergent (to avoid any potential allergies) and that you wait until they are fully dry before packaging them up.
Challenge Entry Form
Every box shipped to Warm Up America must include one entry form per set of hat/gloves. The note to Warm Up America volunteers is optional.
Boxes received without completed entry forms will not qualify for the giveaway because we will not be able to contact you if your form is drawn.
Four giveaways will be awarded in a random draw after the challenge concludes. This drawing will be held live on Warm Up America’s Facebook page on December 17th 2019 at 12:00 pm CST.
You do not need to be present on the live stream to win a prize. The four winners whose entry forms are drawn will be contacted via email by me on December 17th.
Clover Amour crochet hook set | Sponsored by Clover USA
10 skeins of Lion Brand Heartland yarn in an assortment of colors | Sponsored by Lion Brand Yarn
10 skeins of Paintbox Simply Aran in an assortment of colors | Sponsored by Love Crafts
Certified Instructors Program I and II (crochet or knitting) | Sponsored by the Craft Yarn Council
Rules for giveaway entry:
- You must send at least one hat and glove set to Warm Up America before the deadline, December 7, 2019.
- Every hat/glove set made from the patterns provided for the challenge count as one entry, provided each set is accompanied by an entry form.
- Only donations made from the challenge patterns (hat and gloves) will count as an entry into the giveaway.
- You must have your package post marked (dropped off at the post) on or before December 7, 2019 to be eligible for the giveaway.
- Winners must be a US or Canada resident.
Challenge Facebook Group
A dedicated challenge Facebook group will be available for the duration of the challenge.
Participants are encouraged to join this group to share progress photos, ask questions and interact with others who are participating in the challenge.
To keep the group exclusive to challenge participants, you will need to request to join the group. Please allow 24 to 48 hours for your request to be approved.
You do not need to participate in the Facebook group to complete the challenge but it sure is a lot of fun!
Frequently asked questions
- When does the challenge begin? The challenge officially kicks off on November 9, 2019 at 12:00 pm Eastern Standard Time with the release of the gloves pattern. The hat pattern will be released on November 16th 2019 and you will have until December 7, 2019 to send your donation to Warm Up America.
- What do I do to join? You do not need to sign up to join the challenge. Simply make the hat and glove set and send it to Warm Up America before the deadline.
- When is my hat/glove set supposed to be finished? The challenge comes to a close on December 7, 2019. You should finish your projects by this day and ship it to WUA Foundation before the end of the business day in your area.
- Can I use a different yarn? The patterns were written and tested for Paintbox Simply Aran and Lion Brand Heartland. I encourage you to use one of these yarns in the color(s) of your choosing. If you are comfortable making yarn substitutions, you may do so. Warm Up America asks that you select an acrylic yarn that is easy to care for.
- Can I donate my hat and gloves to another organization? Absolutely. If you live outside the US and you would like to participate, I encourage you to find your local charity and donate your items. However, you will not be eligible for the giveaways.
- What do I do now? Order the yarn, get your supplies and sit tight for the first pattern release on November 9th. Join the Facebook group and strike up a conversation with your fellow yarn heroes!
- Who is Warm Up America? Warm Up America is a non-profit organization founded in 1992 by a courageous yarn hero named Evie. When her vision expanded beyond her capabilities, the Craft Yarn Council stepped in to continue her mission. I encourage you to read more about WUA! Foundation here.